As a visual communication specialist and brander, I know the power that an image or a picture has to sell a product or a service. Amazon, the store that revolutionized the retail world knows that very well.
Whether you plan to sell your products on your own online store or Amazon, I recommend you follow these suggestions:
• Hire a Professional Photographer, please don't go with a “amateur” or "picture taker" photo. Images are the most valued tools you have to succeed selling, my advice is to put this job in the hands of a professional. Nevertheless, it is paramount you know what are the elements of a good selling picture for Amazon.
• Smartphones are not a good option for shooting your products.
• The image should be around 85% of the frame if you can't achieve this in the take, zoom the image in by cropping.
•Use impeccable white background. Depending on the complexity of the take, we knock the image out and use a digital white. Keep or produce the shadow, otherwise, your product will look like it’s floating in the air.
• Do not include other elements that might confuse the buyer in the shot.
• Post five pictures that describe your product in detail. Keep in mind: What is your products’ main promise? What materials are they made of? Are different colors available? Textures? Details? Make a list of what the picture should tell.
• Incorporate Lifestyle Imagery whenever possible. It is very appealing to customers to visualize the product in use.
• When needed, introduce elements to establish the scale and size.
• Younger generations don't read much. Use small text to describe your products. In my experience, the first 100 words make a buying decision.
• Never include text copy in the cover photo.
• Amazon recommends 2560 pixels wide at 72 dpi.
• File formats: Jpeg, PNG, Gif or Tiff and my favorite PNG.
• Check that the product you are showing is exactly the product you are selling.
• I normally use the product SKG to name my files.
• Make sure the product looks absolutely perfect.
I hope these tips will help you with your Amazon challenges, please contact me if you have any questions.